Friday, December 10, 2010

Cursive Writing.. Why? When?


Dear Friends In Education (teachers as well as learners)

Cursive Writing.. Why? When?

This is one question that is bugging my mind for last so many months. Why is 'Cursive Writing' so important in preschool education? Most of us do not use it when we grow up. Then why waste so much of time and effort on it? Why pressurise the tiny tots with it?
In my opinion cursive writing is a redundant skill. Yet, if some one is not able to let go of it out of old habit.. what is the right age to start teaching cursive writing?
Do you need fine motor skill to write cursive? At what age are fingers of tiny tots ready for handling the controlled cursive strokes of pencil ?

I am vaguely aware of some relation between the personality, state of mind and handwriting. Its the study of handwriting called graphology. It is about predicting the personality traits by the handwriting and signature etc. But this an art which is yet to be accepted as science.

If you have study conducted by any one recently or can quote some authentic published study on this issue, please share on this blog.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful post. I have something to ask as well as to say here. Also trying to make a point.
    I have learnt and practiced cursive writing in school. My teachers and everyone around told me that if I write in cursive I will have a good writing and will be appreciated. I took it seriously and worked on writing cursive. I have grown up now. I am 25 and I still write cursive. According to my teachers I should have a wonderful handwriting by now. I admit that they r not beautiful but they are clear and readable.
    The problem is that my handwriting are labeled as "kiddish". Is the association of cursive in people's mind making me look kiddish today? or we are expected to forget cursive when we grow up?
    Would really appreciate if an expert can help me out of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you made your points very clearly... in two ways.. Maturity in strokes cursive or non cursive impresses people. Maturity is indicated in steadiness and unformity in strokes. Confidence is seen in tall bold strokes and arrogance can also be seen and distibguished from confidence by a graphologist.

    Secondly people do associate cursive with children only.. grown who try to write cursive seem to be having bad handwriting... For example thousands fo doctors... may be more

    ReplyDelete